Saturday, September 29, 2007

Last Weekend's Conference

Last weekend Joel and I attended a conference together. He's already blogged about it some here. I already linked to it once but for those who didn't read it then and want a man's perspective click on over.

The conference title was "Encouragement for the Homeschool Family Conference." It was given by Steve & Teri Maxwell and family. Go here to see a copy of the schedule and their description of each session.

I found their family website, Titus2.com over 6 months ago. Imagine my surprise to see they would be in Rhode Island! No one EVER comes to Rhode Island. (Now within one month a homeschool conference AND Beth Moore! Let's just say Praise the Lord!) I decided I really wanted to go. Joel was less enthusiastic but he went along because he loves me.

Friday night the babysitter arrived and we headed off to Barrington. That's on the other side of the Bay. And for those who aren't from around here. Crossing to the other side of Narragansett Bay is a BIG deal for Rhode Islanders.

We arrived, took our seats and my dull headache became a pounding headache. I'm afraid I don't remember much of the first two sessions because all I could think was "my head hurts. Oh, my aching head. Stay awake. Stay awake. Oh, my head hurts." I wanted to leave but I really sensed God was speaking to Joel and I didn't want to make him leave.

Saturday morning I awoke with no headache. Thank you, Jesus! The result of Saturday's four sessions is 23 pages of notes! And the purchase of 3 books. One for each of us and one together. Challenged and convicted does not begin to describe this conference.

If you ever have the opportunity to hear the Maxwells speak, GO! If you aren't homeschoolers, don't be put off by the homeschool title. They talked very little about the how-to of home school. Really, it was more about marriage and family life. What should a God-centered marriage and family look like. They didn't just tell their opinions. They backed it up with scripture. And they didn't pull scripture out of context either.

Honestly, I didn't go into this thinking God was going to change our lives. I thought we'd pick up a couple of pointers on how to be better parents. I hoped and prayed Joel would come away encouraged and motivated to take a more active role in our home school efforts.

And then God showed up. Have you ever noticed when God shows up you aren't the same afterward?

For the sake of not making this post 23 pages long, let me summarize some of the ways I'm not the same.

1. Joel & I have committed to pray together every night we possibly can. It's amazing how 5-10 minutes praying together can have such a huge impact on my attitude towards him.

2. I am believing that I have a "meek and quiet spirit." For those who know me in real life, you know those words don't describe me very well. I believe the word Julia used at the Beth Conference was "aggressive." But Beth pointed out in 2 Peter 1 that God has given me EVERYTHING I need for life and godliness.

3. The only way for me to accomplish a "meek and quiet spirit" is to spend time daily with Jesus. This is something I've always struggled with and even more so now that I have children. Let me tell you that a week of regular time with my Lord has helped lower my frustration and anger level tremedously. I still have a LONG way to go but He'll get me where He wants me to be.

4. Finally, I am committed to submitting to Joel. Teri told a story about watching a husband and wife pick out seats at a conference once. Everytime the husband chose a group of seats for his family the wife found something wrong with them. Teri said she wanted to ask her if it really mattered. She wanted to say, "Oh, Mrs. George, can you let your husband be a leader?" I can't begin to tell you how much this story hit home with me! She also asked, "Are you a helpmeet or do you expect your husband to be your helper?" I'll just say "ouch" and leave it at that.

If you can't attend one of the Maxwell's conferences please consider buying their books. I'm about halfway through this one and can't do it justice in a blog. Again, if you aren't homeschooling or don't plan to homeschool, don't be put off by their use of it in titles. Mainly homeschooling is used in their examples but the principles apply to everyone.

***Could I have possibly put any more links in this post? = )

1 comment:

Marc and Charity said...

Hey, thanks for the link to Titus2, I am so discouraged and I will be looking around the website for info! I read Joel's post about the TV and I'm impressed/convicted.

Had a great week, but came home discouarged. Not even sure what to write on the blog, so I'll just rest for a bit before I do.

Marc did great, the girls were clean, fed and dressed. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...