Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mary's First Thanksgiving

Today I found myself asking my sons, "Which is better - eating fewer cookies than your sister or eating no cookies?" They were playing the ages old game of She Got More Than Me and I refused to participate.

Since we've studied different parts of the Thanksgiving holiday this month I've been very aware of ungrateful and entitled attitudes. As always, we're a work in progress at the SMB house!

This week we're shifting our focus from the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving feast to our personal thankfulness and celebration. I'm hoping our attitudes will improve this week.

Reading Mary's First Thanksgiving: An Inspirational Story of Gratefulness by Kathy-jo Wargin should cultivate a little gratefulness in our hearts.

Mary and her parents are immigrants about to celebrate their first Thanksgiving in America. They have received a pumpkin pie from a neighbor. Because they are so poor this will be their own special food for the day.

Mary complains about their poverty and her father tells her the story of the Pilgrims first year in America and the tradition of 5 kernels of corn. In the end, Mary changes her attitude and finds reasons to be thankful.

Mary sounds a lot like my own children - discontent with their blessings. Granted, her poverty is much different from my children's life of luxury (I think any family who never experiences true hunger is living in luxury!) but the lesson is the same. No matter what our circumstances, we have reasons to be thankful.

I hope my children understand this truth a little more by reading Mary's First Thanksgiving.

Be sure to like Stephanie's Mommy Brain on Facebook where I'm sharing more Thanksgiving tips and links throughout November. 

More Thanksgiving Kids Activities and Books Posts

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...