Thursday, September 25, 2008

Loving Well by Beth Moore

For four weeks the ladies of my church are meeting on Thursday evenings to watch DVDs of Beth Moore's Loving Well Retreat. God must think I need help loving others because I participated in this same study last summer. What can I say? I'm a slow learner.

If you've never read or heard this study let me tell you her Four Main Points:
  1. God is perfect love (1 John 4:18).
  2. Nothing can separate me from God's perfect love (Romans 8:38-39).
  3. God pours His perfect love into my imperfect heart (Romans 5:5).
  4. Accessed, I can love anyone through anything (Philippians 4:13).
I am blown away by Beth's definition of loving well: "a persevering love that goes beyond our human capabilities." Just stop a minute and read that again. "A persevering love that goes beyond our human capabilities."

I am finding that my human capability to love (among other things) is extremely limited. Or maybe I should say, is extremely self-focused.

I'm so thankful that God doesn't love me the same way I love others AND that he gives me opportunities to mature in this area. Let's read number 3 again. "God pours His perfect love into my imperfect heart (Romans 5:5)."

Wow! He knows my love is imperfect and immature so he fills me with himself so I can use his love instead of mine! What an awesome thought. Which brings me to another thought. He can't fill me if I'm not open, available and still. Yes, I'm about to mention the thing known among Christian circles as a "Quiet Time."

This is another habit I've been working on - a consistent daily time alone with God. This habit has always been difficult for me. I'm not sure why. Even when I had no children, no job, and no blogs I found it hard to make time to be alone with God. I'm really trying to change that.

You know it's funny, I can be exhausted by the time lunch rolls around, put the kids down for naps and take a nap myself, only to wake up just as exhausted as I was when I went to sleep. Yet, if I spend that same time reading God's word and praying I somehow have the energy to finish out the day. I'm guessing it has something to do with him pouring his perfect love (and energy) into me.

I'm really excited about this study and can't wait to see how God works in me and teaches me to love beyond myself. If you want to learn more about the perfect love of God and how to share his love then I highly recommend this study.

You can click here for more information about the DVD kit (which is $100 from Lifeway). If that's too expensive for you (waving my hand here!), check out the "related" tab. You can download the individual sessions for $5 each (there are 4). Be sure to buy the journal. It's only $6. You could get the whole thing for $26! Why not put it on your Christmas Wish List?

2 comments:

Flamingo said...

ooh. i just started a study by mrs moore too! i'm doing her new one, Stepping up.

That is one gifted lady!

Amy said...

I've noticed the same thing about my quiet time...I am so much more refreshed when I spend "nap time" with the Lord! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...