Monday, January 9, 2012

Menu Plan Monday 1.9.12


I have been planning menus off and on for about 10 years. I've used a variety of methods, planning guides, and worksheets. I've planned by the week, 2 weeks and month. I've included every meal and snack in my plan and I've planned just our supper meals.

After all my different systems I've learned that the best menu plan method is the one that works NOW. If your current system isn't working or you are bored with it, change it up and try something new.

My current system is to plan for the entire month. I downloaded a free customizable 2012 calendar and fill in each day's supper meal. I also make a note of any special plans next to the date. This helps remind me if I need to start supper earlier than usual.


All that to say: if you are new to meal planning, don't give up! Keep trying until you find the system that works for you.

So what are we eating at the SMB house January 9-15?

Chili, Cheddar Cheese, Salad and Crackers
Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, Carrots and Homemade Biscuits
Lemon Pepper Salmon, Steamed Carrots and Broccoli, and Rice
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (with leftover roasted chicken)
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza, Salad and Pineapples
Turkey Spaghetti and Salad
Chocolate Chip Pancakes and Scrambled Eggs

What's on your meal plan this week?

Linked to Organizing Junkie.

6 comments:

Amy said...

So true...what works best is what works now! Sometimes I can really only plan for a week at a time and other times I'm way more detailed and planned ahead (my favorite, but just doesn't always work!).

This month I highlighted each week on menu plan a different color (just over the days of the week). On my grocery list I highlighted the fresh ingredients I need for those recipes in the coordinating color. So far this has been very helpful! I hope this will help me not have to rethink each meal weekly, but I can just add what we've run out of to my list throughout the week and be ready to go get the FEW things we need.

Stephanie Kay said...

I like your idea of coordinating your grocery list with your meal plan for the month. Just one small step like that can save you lots of time, energy, and thought in the the long run. I'm all about conserving energy. :D

Stephanie said...

I like the idea of planning a month at a time. Maybe I'll try that next month. Your menu looks great!

Stephanie Kay said...

Thanks Stephanie! (great name by the way!)

Planning for a month really works for me. I basically plan for 2 weeks and then repeat the plan for the second half of the month. I usually switch up a recipe or 2 for the 2nd half but it's basically the same. When I cook the first 2 weeks I try to double the recipe (unless it's something like stir-fry) and freeze the extra. Then during the end of the month I just pull the extras out of the freezer.

mypixieblog said...

This is an awesome way to not only keep a healthy meal plan, but also save multiple trips to the grocery! Though I only cook for one (sometimes two), it's still helpful information to have!

Stephanie Kay said...

Charlotte, thanks for stopping by last week. Meal planning for a month saves me a ton of time, energy and money. I often cook enough for 2 meals and then freeze the leftovers to eat later in the month. That would work just as well when cooking for one. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...