Wednesday, May 11, 2011

10 Rainy Day Children's Activities :: Mom 411

One of the questions I'm asked a lot is, "What do you do [with all of my children] when it rains?"  Or snows.  Or in some other way prevents them from playing outside.

The short answer is they entertain themselves.  Don't get me wrong, we watch our fair share of videos on rainy days but I try to limit their screen time.  That means they mostly play with each other.

Are you looking for some new ideas for indoor fun?  Well, here's a list of our 10 favorite rainy day children's activities:

1.  Play with a large box.


2.  Read books together.



3.  Make peanut butter cookies with Mom.


4.  Create a farm with animal toys.


5.  Draw on large strips of packing paper.


6.  Build Lincoln Log houses.



7.  Play with Play Dough.


8.  Build Star Wars droids with cardboard bricks.


9. Dress up like Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker.


10.  Watch videos while laying in a box.


What are some of your favorite rainy day children's activities?

Visit Works for me Wednesday for more tips and tricks.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Haven't done it in a few years, but now we're again all ready (M'Kayla wasn't quite ready to enjoy it): go outside and puddle jump!!! Rainboots, raincoats, umbrellas...have fun!!! Sometimes we go for a walk, sometimes I just send them out...they love it!!!

Stephanie Kay said...

Amy, puddle jumping is a great idea! I've done that a few times but inevitably my kids turn it into playing in the mud. :D

Amy said...

That's why I often take them on a walk--I have "rainy boots" too! That way we stay relatively clean, get out, and have some exercise. Othewise, I send them out on the driveway for a few minutes. Mud is no fun for mom!!!!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Great ideas! Love all the pictures. So cute!

Carrie said...

Hey, that's a pretty cool log house! =)

I was thinking of setting up the tent in the bedroom tonight and letting the boys play a bit in there. I have to make a little space - but it'll be different and fun.

Stephanie Kay said...

Ben is my Lincoln Log architect. He builds amazing things! A blanket fort is a great idea, Carrie. My kids love to do that too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...