I've mentioned before that I try to menu plan and shop for a whole month in one trip. Those shopping trips are only staples and meat. I have a very small kitchen, pantry and refrigerator/freezer so I can't do a lot of stocking up.
So here are some things I buy weekly:
- 5 gallons of milk
- 4-5 loaves of wheat bread
- 24 apples
- 2 bunches of bananas (approx. 12 total)
- another 2-3 pounds of fruit (whatever's on sale)
- 5 lbs. of baby carrots (this is actually every 2 weeks)
- 1-2 lbs. of raw broccoli
- 1.5 lb. of sliced American cheese
- 1 box of raisins
- 3-4 boxes of dry cereal (mini wheats, cheerios, 'sugar' cereal)
- 1-2 dozen eggs
- 1 box saltine crackers
How much does it cost me? $75 to $100 every week (depending on how much other stuff is added to the list).
Let me be clear. This does NOT include meat, chips, soda, snack bars or any kind of junk food.
One of my goals for this year is to spend less at the grocery store but seeing my list this way makes me realize I'm not buying junk - I'm just feeding SIX hungry people!