Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Nancy Drew and The Secret of the Old Clock


Nancy Drew and The Secret of the Old Clock (Book 1) by Carolyn Keene.

A chance meeting with two spinster sisters and their great-niece starts Nancy on a clue hunt to discover where Josiah Crowley hid his last will.

In typical children's mystery fashion, Nancy sweetly finds a way into the home of the un-rightful heirs, spends an afternoon stranded in a boat and is locked in a closet. 

Nancy is an old pal of mine so reading this book felt like a walk down memory lane but, like Anne of Green Gables, I found this reading to be different from when I was ten (imagine that!).

Nancy disappointed me with her less than gracious discussions of the Tophams.  And the way strangers unburden their personal financial struggles to her is a little hard to believe at times. 

But.  I do enjoy Nancy.

I think she's a great introduction to the mystery genre for kids.  (It helps to remember Nancy Drew is a CHILDREN'S book character and not expect too much of the mystery.)  I'm looking forward to the day I introduce Nancy to my children.

Have you read any Nancy Drew Mysteries?

Visit 5 Minutes for Books for more children's mystery reviews.

4 comments:

Annette W. said...

I bought mine to read for the challenge at the good will! .50! That will be for next month!

Carrie said...

=D Maybe you should stop rereading your childhood favorites! =D Ya think!? It doesn't seem to be working out so very, very well for you.

That said, you DO have an obligation to recheck them out for your kids so then there's the quandary.

Sounds like you enjoyed her maybe a little, but yes, it's much easier to find the flaws in the characters now.

DanaB said...

I revel in the feelings my old Trixie Belden books bring afresh...tisn't about the actual story from my 'all grown up' view, but about the walk down memory lane :)

~~

Renee said...

I loved reading Nancy Drew when I was a kid. I can't wait to re-visit some of her books. I bet they'll seem a little different to me too now that I'm uh....20 years older (or more) - lol! Great review. Happy Reading!

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...