Sunday, July 13, 2008

I saved $36.44!

You may recall back in the spring I had a bump removed from my leg. Well, the dermatologist's office sent me a bill for $36.44. I finally got around to calling about the bill. Why call? Because I have a co-pay of $25. Given that $11.44 will now buy me almost 3 gallons of gas it was worth calling about.

Sure enough, the billing department had made a mistake and I didn't owe anything! Yippee!!! I love it when that happens! So my tip for today is to know your insurance and don't be afraid to question the bills that come to your house.

I tried to convince Joel that since I'd saved us the $36.44 I should get it instead of the doctor. He didn't go for it. It was worth a try.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Good for you! I tried the same exact tactic yesterday. I remembered to grab a dvd that we needed to return or else we would have late charges, so I tried to convince Dan that I should get those bucks! It didn't work.

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Woo hoo! Good for you! Nice try on tying to keep the dough for yourself - a girl has to try!

I cannot even tell you the number of times we have received bills in error - CANNOT even tell you. I have made countless phone calls to hospitals, doctor's offices & my insurance company doing my own investigations on things. And I cannot tell you how much money those phone calls have saved us. It is crazy!

Makes me wonder how many people just pay the bills that they get...

Dawn

Christie said...

Oooh! I like your thinking on that. :)

Like Dawn, I should have my insurance # on speed dial. They make so many mistakes. Last week I found out I owed nothing for a bill that was $90! Just before that there was a bill for $123 that was sent to me incorrectly. Basically someone keyed in my account # incorrectly so it showed that that the charge wasn't covered. Really it was covered in full! I remember my dad saying when I was in high school that the insurance company should have my mom on the payroll because she logged so many hours figuring our correct charges FOR the insurance company. NOW I understand!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...