Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bag in the Wind :: Book Recommendation


Last month my son, William, needed to read 3 books about the environment or recycling to earn a badge in Cub Scouts.  I discovered Bag in the Wind on the shelves of our local library and decided it would meet our needs.

The story begins at a landfill at the moment that a strong gust of wind blows a yellow plastic bag out the landfill gates.  We then follow the bag as it is caught in a tree, reused by a little girl, discovered by a homeless man and eventually makes it's way to a thrift store.

I see so many plastic bags caught on tree branches, whirled in the air by the wind and crumpled on the side of the rode that the premise of this story caught my imagination.  Now I find myself wondering how DID that plastic bag come to be wrapped around a branch at the park?  And, better yet, my son is inspired to recycle.

Bag in the Wind makes for a nice read aloud and starting point to discuss recycling and caring for the environment.

What do you think about when you see a plastic bag blowing on the wind?  Or are they so common now that you barely notice them?

Bag in the Wind by Ted Kooser.  Illustrated by Barry Root.  Published by Candlewick Press, 2010.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I live in Oregon. If someone saw a plastic bag blowing in the wind then we'd probably be subjected to a parade of protestors and more government regulations against plastic bags.

J.Lynne said...

I actually have a plastic bag caught in the tree in my backyard. I've been considering more how to get it down rather than how it got there.

The Hibbard Family said...

I have to admit that I smile a bit. I know that sounds a bit odd, but in Jordan plastic bags were referred to as the "other" national bird of Jordan. They were everywhere! So, while I do try to catch them, I don't really ponder where they came from. Instead, I reminisce. Some environmentalist I am, huh? :-)

Anne said...

Hi! I’m belatedly stopping by from the UBP. Nice to meet you! I am a new follower : )
I don't think I see many plastic bags blowing around out here, or maybe I just don't notice them!
I have two blogs, and I’d love for you to stop by when you get a minute. Thanks!

http://giveawaycorner.blogspot.com/ (A free giveaway every weekday)
http://anne-somekindofwonderful.blogspot.com/ (Family blog)

Stephanie Kay said...

Funny the differences in perspectives about the plastic bags. Our state and city have a pretty involved recycling program but we still see quite a few bags around. It would be nice if more of us took recycling (or at least throwing our trash in appropriate bins!) seriously.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...