Thursday, March 8, 2012

Front Porch Tradition





photo courtesy of Mr. ThinkTank
 
My eyes scan the photo in search of something I can relate to, of some touch of familiarity. Nothing. I see nothing but a jumble of brightly painted houses almost sitting on top of each other, postage stamp sized front yards, and, in the background, a looming high rise apartment building. Then I notice on the dark blue front steps of the first house an old wooden crate turned on it's end and shoved up against a porch pillar.

Suddenly I no longer see an urban street in New Zealand. Instead, my mind revisits a scene on a dirt road in rural Arkansas. Before me stands a solitary farm house surrounded by green pastures as far as the eye can see. An old wooden swing hangs by two silver chains from the light blue ceiling of the wide front porch.

An upended old wooden crate on an urban front porch. A swaying old wooden swing on a rural farmhouse porch. Both wait for their owners to return and sit, when they will once again be silent participants in an ancient custom that transcends cultures and generations.

Do you sit on your front porch and share the day's end with family or neighbors?


Please help me become the next Wyndham Women on Their Way travel blogger. Just click here. Then click on the "like" next to the green thumb. Just two clicks will help me pursue my goals. Thanks!!


This post is participating in:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...