Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Anne of Green Gables Pop-Up Books

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge
 
A Big Imagination: An Anne of Green Gables Pop-Up Book. Retold by Rebecca Anne Krafft. Illustrated by Thea Kliros. Published by Ottenheimer Publishing, 1993.


Adventures at School: An Anne of Green Gables Pop-Up Book. Retold by Rebecca Anne Krafft. Illustrated by Thea Kliros. Published by Ottenheimer Publishing, 1993.


I picked up these two books from my library to read for the L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge.  I wasn't really interested in reading Anne again this year but was curious about the pop-up books.  I also thought I could use them to introduce my daughter, Ellie, to Anne.

These pop-up books skim the first two Montgomery books in the Anne series.  Condensing novels of any size into 6 two-page spreads must be very difficult, especially with stories that are full of interesting scenes!

The pop-ups in the copies I picked up didn't work very well.  I'm sure this is because they are library books.  Pop-up books need to be handled with care and library books certainly don't get the level of care that owned books get!  (Or is that just at my house?)

Also, it's hard for me to look at the illustrations and not compare them to the images from the Anne of Green Gables DVDMegan Follows IS Anne and any illustration that isn't her just doesn't seem right.

These pop-up books are an interesting novelty that a die-hard Anne fan might be interested in owning.  Since I'm not one of those fans I'll just chalk this up as a fun one time read.

Have you read in novelty Anne books?  Can you imagine anyone other than Megan Follows as Anne?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm with you, Megan is Anne! :)

Carrie said...

Yes, I can tell you that I WOULD like to own them.......as a die-hard fan. I picked up a pop-up book at Goodwill but it wasn't either of these titles. So now I'm going to hop on Amazon and add them to my wishlist.

So glad you highlighted them for us! Thanks!

Carrie said...

Ah ha. Not on Amazon. (Well. Used copies are quite remarkably high priced!) I'll save your link. ;)

Annette W. said...

Based on the cover of the second book, I'm not sure I could show these to my daughter yet. She might smack someone with a book...

Yes. Megan Follows IS Anne.

Thanks so much for sharing these!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...