Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How do you create a lifestyle of fitness?


"I’m not going crazy here. This needs to be a lifestyle change, and if the change is too drastic it isn’t going to stick." 

I thought about this quote all week. This isn't the first time I've heard a woman say she wanted a lifestyle of fitness, not a diet. I've said those words myself when talking about Project 10!

I believe Sarah's correct. Drastic changes are doable for a short time but then I arrive at my goal, or have a tough day, and I slip back into those old habits. Before you know it I'm right back where I started, or worse.

So inspired by Sarah's words I asked myself:

How do I create a lifestyle of fitness?


Sam (3 yrs) touching his toes in preschool gymnastics class.

  • Evaluate your current lifestyle. How many hours a week do you have to exercise and cook? Do you need to consider the wants/needs/schedules of a husband or children?
  • What changes can you make to your lifestyle that will support your exercise and nutrition goals? Can you get up earlier to exercise? Will menu planning each week keep you from swinging by the drive-thru? Do you need to learn to cook instead of buying frozen dinners?
  • Create a support group for your new lifestyle. This group can include your family and friends, co-workers, neighbors, or even on-line friends! Join in with the ladies of Project 10, we'd LOVE to support you! 
  • Make the changes for today. Don't worry about tomorrow. Choose for today. Today I will work out for 20 minutes. Today I will brown bag a healthy lunch instead of eating in the cafeteria. Today I will walk for 30 minutes with my family after supper.
Like Sarah, I'm not going crazy. I'm not planning to work out 7 days a week or only eat 1,000 calories a day. I'm making a few changes that I will become habits and just be part of my life.


What steps do you use to create a fitness lifestyle?


8 comments:

Megan said...

Great post Stephanie! I am hoping to make healthy living a lifestyle. (Starting with writing my Project 10 posts in a timely fashion. Getting on that during naps today...) :)

Amy Brock said...

I think the best fitness decision I made was to find a friend to exercise with. I walk with a friend 3-4 times a week in the AM (our husbands have not left for work yet, but also at least one of our kids is old enough to be home with the younger ones.) I know that I would not get up to walk on my own, but when someone is expecting me, I do it! We just walk briskly in a nearby safe neighborhood with little traffic for about 50 minutes.

Stephanie Kay said...

Amy, I love the idea of finding someone to exercise with! Knowing someone was waiting for me would definitely push me out of bed.

Moms of young kids have that extra challenge of exercising around their kids' and husband's schedules. My oldest is 9, not yet big enough to leave alone. Which means I have to exercise before Joel leaves in the morning or after he comes home at night. I'm starting to think about ways I can include them in exercise this summer.

Unknown said...

"Like Sarah, I'm not going crazy. I'm not planning to work out 7 days a week or only eat 1,000 calories a day. I'm making a few changes that I will become habits and just be part of my life." Yes! Yes! Yes! This is why I am so grateful to have connected with you ladies. This is exactly how I feel and knowing others feel the same way and are there to be supportive makes it all the more rewarding.

Melissa said...

These are GREAT questions to ask myself. I'm going to answer them tonight.

Stephanie Kay said...

Thanks! I'm answering them tonight also! :)

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

These are great things to remember when trying to get fit!! Making a lifestyle is more about forming new habits than following trends or going to the extreme!

Great post!!!

Mama Luvs Books said...

I love these tips! This is a great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...