Wednesday, July 14, 2010

30 Day Shred Review

In January I announced to the world that I am about 20 pounds overweight and terribly out of shape.  I also had a plan to change all of that.  Unfortunately, the small changes I made back then produced small results (as you can see in the picture).

So, in May I decided to make some big changes in the hopes of producing big results.  I've adjusted some of my eating habits and I've started using an exercise DVD four days a week.

I know.  I know.  NOT an exercise video {groan}.

That's how I felt last year when everywhere I looked on-line women were raving about Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.  I thought it would be too hard for me to do.  I thought the workouts would damage my RA joints.  And, truth be told, I thought it was impossible for me to lose 20 pounds and have a fit body.

But something clicked for me in May.  As much as I enjoy walking and running, it just wasn't toning any muscles or shrinking any flab.  So I decided to give 30 Day Shred a chance for ... 30 days (har.har.).

Holy Cow!!  Now I see why women were raving and ranting about this workout video!  I started using it June 1 (2 days after that picture was taken) and thought I was going to die.  My arms, shoulders and chest muscles ACHED and that's from only 20 minutes a day Tuesday - Friday!!

I thought because I heft 25 pounds and 30 pounds (Sam and Ellie) around all day that my arms were in good shape.  Ha!  Jillian has me working muscles I'd forgotten existed!

The DVD comes with 3 complete 20 minute workouts.  I used level 1 for 2 weeks and did something to my knees so I took a week off.  (I think this was RA related so you should be fine.)  Last week I started with level 1 again and found myself kind of bored with it (not that I had mastered the exercises, just tired of doing the same routine) so I moved up to level 2.

To be honest, I still don't find working out fun.  BUT I like the way I feel afterward and I'm seeing results.  After using the Shred DVD for a month (more or less) I've lost 6 pounds and my clothes fit better.  While I haven't exactly gone down a size (yet) my "fat" shorts have a lot of wiggle room in them and capris I could barely button a month ago now button without me having to suck my stomach in.

I consider that progress!  So every time I'm tempted to skip a workout I remind myself of where I started (the picture above) and what I've already accomplished.  My hope is to continue working out, make some more diet changes and end this summer wearing my "skinny" shorts.

Will you join me in getting healthy and fit?  I've already convinced Carrie to use the DVD, how about you?

Ps.  I think I should tell you Jillian uses a couple of mild swear words on the video.  Also 2 of the 3 girls show a lot of um...  "skin" so I do NOT recommend this video for men or teenage boys!

5 comments:

Amy Haynes said...

Go Stephanie!!!

Quick question: is this a maintain workout, too? I'm looking for something for the winter when I can't be outdoors.

Way to go!

Stephanie Kay said...

Amy, I plan on using this as a maintain workout during the winter. It all depends on how hard you push yourself during the workout and how many days a week you do it. Right now I only use it 4 days a week but starting in September I'll probably drop down to 3 days a week.

Before you by it, look at your local library. Last week I brought home 2 Biggest Loser workout dvds from the library to give me an additional alternative.

Carrie said...

A friend of mine has come for a visit for the next 6 weeks and so now I have a partner in crime with this.

The other day I did Level 1 AND Level 2 back to back. It was a good idea at the time. But the next day I paid for it. ;)

Linda @ Country Road Faith said...

Go Girls!
I've applied your Tuesday's suggestion and walking toward a 3 mile hour. This week my calves cried all day because they went only 2 miles in 50 minutes. Next week they may be screaming :)

It's not so much the weight I'm concerned about, but the inches and belly flab or middle aged spread that I want out of here.

I didn't do any exercises or walking for 34 of my almost 38 yrs. of marriage. I hope you gals don't follow my footsteps.

Dad says,"No pain, no gain." Ugh!

It will be worth it after all.

Unknown said...

I missed this the first time around (until Carrie pointed it out), and I have to say that I've been seriously considering this. I too heard all the hype and said "yeah, yeah," but a real-life friend just mentioned it, and now you. . . .

I love the 20 minute a day thing. I think that I could handle that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...