Friday, May 21, 2010

Visiting Slater Mill on Family Fun Friday

The kiss of death.  Good night, sleep tight.  A tow head.  Flaxen-haired maiden.

What do all of these sayings have in common?

Well, you'll hear their origins explained as you take a tour at Slater Mill in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

You'll also see:
the inside of an 18th century bedroom 

and kitchen, 

watch your guide spin flax into thread, 

see a 9 ton waterwheel power...

a 19th century machine shop, 

AND learn how cotton was turned into fabric during the 19th century.

Sound like fun?  My kids thought so!

I highly recommend you visit Slater Mill when in Rhode Island (and I'm not just saying that because I worked there 10 years ago).  The tour is interesting, educational and entertaining.

I'll give you a little insider's tip: from March - June and September - October go to the Mill after lunch!  Those months are full of school groups in the mornings.  If you go in the afternoon you could be the only ones on the tour (we were!).

The tour is a little pricey in my opinion - $12 for adults.  But here are 3 ways you can save:  
  1. Free for all Sundays. Tours are free on the last Sunday of each month.
  2. Mill Money.  Print a coupon for $1 off up to 4 admissions.
  3. Tropicana Juicy Rewards.  Use your reward points to redeem a coupon for 50% off.  Just search for Slater Mill.  (This is what I did.)
And with that I'll say "good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite."

Disclosure:  I wrote this post while participating in the Tropicana Juicy Insiders Ambassador program by Mom Central on behalf of Tropicana. I received 12 free Juicy Rewards points and a $50 Visa gift card to use in redemption of the points and to facilitate my review.  However, no one at Slater Mill asked me to write this review and my opinion of the tour and site was not influenced by the Tropicana rewards.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Fun! How great to be the only ones on your tour! :)

Carrie said...

How FUN! I love places like that. What a great outing! =)

cassie said...

Sounds like fun!
Cassie

Jenn said...

The Mill looks interesting! We should visit it next time we're in RI!

Christie said...

This looks a lot like Old Salem. Caleb went earlier this year. He went with a homeschooling buddy of his. I wasn't able to go because I had sick little guys, but he had a blast. So if you're ever coming this direction.... :)

They had a "fire drill" and the kids got to be part of the "bucket brigade." :) That was his favorite part!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Can you believe I have never been there (other than the time I went for a job interview)? I am surprised I never went on a class trip or anything!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...