Monday, May 31, 2010

How to make this the best summer EVER!

The sound of childish laughter drifts from the backyard to my listening ears while beads of condensation gather and roll down my glass of iced sweet tea.  My bare feet, warmed by the shafts of sunlight pouring through the open window, rest on a footstool as I sit rocking and reading yet another book from my summer reading list.

Ah.. the perfection of lazy summer days.  At least in my imagination!

In reality, the sound of childish fighting accosts my ears from my backyard, while my iced sweet tea has long since warmed to room temperature as I answer the call of one child after another.  And my summer reading list?  It sits untouched as I wash load after load of laundry dirtied by small sweaty bodies.

But I am determined that this summer will be different from those in the past.  It will be the BEST SUMMER EVER!


How will I make this summer the best ever?
By completing 3 short sentences now:

My idea of a perfect summer is ...
This summer I want to ...
I will accomplish this by ...

Here's my list:
  • My idea of a perfect summer is ...... to have a lot of fun, to create new memories, and to learn new things together as a family. 
  • This summer I want to ...... see places and do activities unique to New England; have fun at home; and get our house ready to sell.  (We hope to put our house on the market before the summer is over so that is influencing a lot of our decisions and desires.)
  • I will do/see New England by ...... going to the beach; Freedom Trail; the home of John Adams; Lexington-Concord; Whale Watching; Audubon Trails; a Butterfly Farm; 3 zoos; Purgatory Chasm; letterbox in MA, CT, and NH; Fort Adams; Block Island; Strawberry picking; Plimoth Village. (As you can see, I have a lot of field trips to plan.)
  • I will have fun at home by ...... reading aloud; play with bubbles; play with our bouncer; sidewalk chalk; Draw.Write.Now; play dates with friends; make homemade ice cream; make homemade popsicles; wash the van.

The next step will be to put the field trips (and house projects) on my calendar.  Everything else we'll just pick from the list on our days home.

So by thinking ahead and doing a little planning before summer gets here I hope to make this the best summer EVER!  And just maybe I'll have a day where everyone gets along, my iced tea is cold and I read my book in peace.

How will you make this the best summer ever?  What's on your list for this summer?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I think your ideas are GREAT! And now you have me thinking.....

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Not sure what we will do this summer, but it feels like summer has already arrived in KY. It has been HOT here for a little while now (high 80s, low 90s) - really makes me excited about July and August!

We will get a visit from Mike's parents and have talked about taking a little trip away by ourselves. It is NEEDED, but I am not sure if all the logistics will work out.

Amy said...

Sounds great! We spent yesterday in Boston and found a new spot! There is a museum right by the USS Constitution that is really interesting. The second floor is designed for kids--hammocks to lay in (and learn about how the sailors slept), a kitchen with food that would have been eaten on the ship, and lots of other learning activities. We were with a group of summer missionaries and only spent about 1/2 hour there--but it was great! We hope to go back! Oh, and it's FREE!

Keep us posted on the house--been wondering if you've had a realtor by and how things are moving along...

Stephanie Kay said...

Amy, we will definitely be checking out the museum at the Constitution!!! Thanks for the info!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...