Thursday, January 15, 2009

Scripture Memorization Team 2009

Have you heard about Beth's Scripture Memory Team? She is inviting women to memorize 24 scriptures in 2009.

Think that sounds like a lot? She's broken it down to 2 a month. One on the 1st day of the month and a new verse on the 15th day of the month.

Just select a verse and leave a comment on her Scripture Memory blog posts with the verse and your name. Of course you don't have to leave a comment to participate but I find it encouraging and helpful to have some measure of accountability - which is why I'm writing this post (I intended to write it 15 days ago but forgot).

So I will have accountability, for the rest of the year I'll just post my new verse on the 1st and 15th and link back to this post so you know what it's about.

If you are interested in joining me, I suggest you read:

* Anybody Game? (Beth's original post),
* 1st & 15 Siesta Scripture Memory Team! We're On! (Beth talks about how many women are participating and prays over us all),
* Scripture Memory Mini-Tutorial (3 videos of Beth explaining a simple way to memorize).

I've also written two posts on Scripture that you might find helpful:

* Memorizing Scripture with Children and for Myself.
(This explains how I'm memorizing with my kids this year. These are different verses from what I'm choosing for myself. There are a couple of links in the post to other blogs that describe memorization systems or techniques.)

* Making Scripture Personal. (More on this in a moment.)

Here are my 2 January scriptures:

"She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness." - Proverbs 31:26-27. (NASB)

"Can a woman forget her nursing child and have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you. Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands. Your walls are continually before Me." - Isaiah 49:15-16 (NASB)

I chose the Proverbs verse because I haven't liked what I hear coming out of my mouth lately. Also, my Theme for 2009 is "Looking well to the ways of her household." I'm really trying to get my house in order in every possible way.

I chose the Isaiah verse because some days I need a reminder that God hasn't forgotten about me. It really speaks to me on a personal level because I'm currently nursing an infant.

Here's an example of making scripture personal that I mentioned earlier.

"Stephanie, can you forget your nursing child, Samuel? Can you have no compassion on Samuel, the son of your womb? As unthinkable as it is, you are capable of forgetting. BUT I will never forget you, Stephanie. Look, I've tattooed you on the palms of my hands. When I look at my hands, I am reminded of you. You are constantly on my mind."

Have you already joined Beth's Scripture Memory Team? If so, what verses did you choose? If you haven't, will you join now? It's not to late!

3 comments:

Leann said...

That is an awesome plan. Thanks for sharing that Stephanie... I will get on it IMMEDIATELY! :)

The Hibbard Family said...

Great idea! I hadn't seen this from Beth Moore. Doug and I decided today that we are making Scripture memory a part of our exercise routine. Our Friday exercise is power-walking along our track at church, so we're going to memorize a new verse each Friday morning and then reinforce it through the following week. Today's was Isaiah 41:10 because we are seeking to be totally trusting in our amazing God and are really praying that we might be able to lead those in our church to do the same!

Alicia said...

This sounds so awesome! I'll look in detail when I get a little settled, but 2 verses a month sounds quite doable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...