Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Wind and the Sun: Book Recommendation

Do you remember Aesop's Fables? Those old stories always have a moral or lesson to teach. I recently stumbled across a copy of an Aesop Fable, The Wind and the Sun at my local library. Bernadette Watts both retold and illustrated the version I read.

Originally published in Switzerland, readers will enjoy the drawings of quaint villages, thatched roofs, and rolling countrysides as they wonder who will win a contest of influence: the Sun or the Wind.

"As you can see, it is easier to influence people with gentleness than with force" is a small hint to who wins. I frequently tell my children to use their words and gentle hands when communicating with each other. Since they each like to have their own way, I'm hoping that remembering this story of a gentle winner will influence their behavior in that direction.

Hey, if parables and stories with a moral worked for Jesus maybe they will work for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...