Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas Book Recomendations

The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Whelchel.

(I laughingly say I'm a Lisa Whelchel groupie. I own at least four of her books.) This book packs 25 "chapters" full of ideas for moms looking to keep little hands busy while filling young minds with the meaning of Christmas. Each chapter includes a brief story or script describing a facet of Christmas (Advent Wreath, Christmas Tree, Angels, Baking, just to name a few).Games, craft and baking ideas are also given. And last but not least, Lisa lists a couple of questions to use when a "Teachable Moment" presents itself.

My children are 4.5 years, 2.5 years and 15 months old so some of the activities are beyond their abilities right now. But even those chapters are great starting points for my own creativity. One thing I'm struggling with is the desire to use every activity! I keep reminding myself not to go crazy. There's always next year for the chapters we don't get to this year.


The Twelve Teas of Christmas by Emilie Barnes.

This book is one of a series Mrs. Barnes has about tea. Twelve "chapters" each center around its own theme complete with recipes, decor ideas, crafts, and historical notes about tea. If you enjoy a cup of hot tea and are looking for ideas for grown up parties or Girls Night this book is for you. With attractive illustrations is also makes a nice coffee table book for those who need something other than Santa or Larry the Cucumber to look at. = )


Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart by Bobbie Wolgemuth and Joni Eareckson Tada.

This book is the third in a series. Twelve "chapters" each include verses of scripture, a relevant story or devotional (the other books in the series include biographies of the hymn's composer or author), the words of a Christmas Carol (all hymns) and a prayer. A cd of all the songs is tucked into the back of the book. The songs, for the most part, are sung by children but do not have that cute-sy style of arrangement that so much of children's music has today.

I've enjoyed listening to this cd and will soon start reading the chapters to my older two children as a kind of devotional. A few illustrations are used which will keep my guys interested. Again, I think my little troop is on the young side for this book but I hope they grow to love it in the coming years.

1 comment:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Great book recommendations, Stephanie. I especially want to find the one by Lisa Whelchel. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...