Thursday, December 9, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

My husband fondly remembers his dad reading The Night Before Christmas each holiday season and wants to repeat the tradition with our children.  Unfortunately, in all my Christmas book buying last year I didn't purchase this particular classic.


So, I did a little happy dance in the spring when I came across The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Janet and Alex D'Amato (published by Educational Reading Service, 1970).  For only $.25 this classic became ours.  Once home, I promptly tucked it away with our other Christmas books.

And forgot about it.

Then, during the summer I attended a used book sale hosted by the Rhode Island Guild of Home Teachers.  Imagine my delighted smile when I found The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Jan Brett (published by Penguin Putnam, 1998.)!  It's classic Brett combined with classic Christmas.  So for only $.75 this classic became ours.  Once home, I promptly tucked it away with our other Christmas books.

And forgot about it.

The autumn used book sale rolled around at my local library and I excitedly shopped.  "When, what to my wondering eyes should appear," but 'Twas the Night Before Christmas illustrated by Haddon Sundblom (published by Hallmark and Coca-Cola, 2001).  My "eyes - how they twinkled" as I thought of my husband's pleasure to read this Christmas classic with our four children.  So I plopped down my $.25 and carried my prize away.  Once home, I promptly tucked it away with our other Christmas books.

And forgot about it.

Until last week when I pulled out our Christmas books and looked at our collection.  Apparently I was very concerned about having a copy of the book for my family this year!  But now that we have THREE copies, I might make this another Christmas book collection and see how many different versions I can gather through the years.

One thing's for sure - my husband shouldn't have any problem finding a copy to read with our children!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has bought multiple copies of something!!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

LOL! I have THREE copies of The 12 Days of Christmas (at least one I hope to ditch after this year!) and two copies of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (Brett's and the new one by Tiger Tales) and I, too, forgot about the ones already owned when adding to the collection.

So I'm looking for more original titles now. ;D ha! Glad I'm not the only one who managed to do that! (At least mine were used or review copies as well so we didn't spend much. Right!? That's a consolation!)

Stephanie Kay said...

Ha! Ha! Carrie, I knew I could count on you to have multiple copies! I really don't mind when they are different versions and super cheap. If I'd spent $15 on the book, I'd be annoyed by my forgetfulness.

The funny thing is my memory lapse isn't restricted to books. I do it with groceries too. I'll get it in my head that we're almost out of something and then I'll buy it several weeks in a row until my pantry is overflowing with it. For example, right now I have about 3 bottles of Italian seasoning. :D

J.Lynne said...

Hey Stephanie! I was just wondering how you deal with Santa in these books.

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

That is so funny!

Stephanie Kay said...

We approach Santa as a fun story that's part of celebrating the holiday. He's a tradition just like sugar cookies and Christmas trees. My children know Santa is not real (but have been told NOT to tell other kids). My husband and I handle Santa this way because he is fun BUT we don't want to lie to our children. (We handle the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy the same way.) We want our children to believe everything we tell them. I realize some kids accept the truth with no issues but others have a hard time with why their parents lied. We don't want to take the risk. So we choose to tell them the truth and celebrate the fun.

This is the choice we've made. If you are reading this and disagree, I ask that you be respectful of our choice. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...