Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanking God for the Puddles

For almost four years I have routinely found myself on hands and knees scrubbing the floor with a towel after one of my children failed to make it to the toilet in time.  I'm sorry to say that usually I'm scowling, issuing words of reproach, and am anything but thankful for the situation.

But this weekend was different.

Maybe it was because we had recently celebrated Thanksgiving. Maybe it was because we had recently visited with friends who had to make a really hard choice for the benefit of their daughter. Maybe it was because we had recently received letters from the children we sponsor through Compassion.

Whatever the reason was, as I toweled up a puddle of pee, one more time, instead of reproaches I found myself saying thanksgivings.

Thank you, God, that my daughter can learn to be potty trained.
Thank you, God, that my daughter is healthy and can make pu on the floor as she plays.
Thank you, God, that I have towels to wipe up the mess from the hard wood floor.
Thank you, God, that I have a floor to wipe.
Thank you, God, that I have a house that's warm and comfortable for my family.
Thank you, God, that we have food and never go hungry.
Thank you, God, that we have indoor plumbing.

Thank you, God, for all the blessings you have given me that I take for granted every day.
"Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. 
Praise the LORD!"
                                                 - Psalm 150:6

2 comments:

Carrie said...

And THAT is not an easy thing to be thankful for.

Thank you for sharing.

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Love the new look of the blog!

Great post! We all need reminders that we have SO much to be thankful for. We are so blessed and we take it for granted time and time again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...