Friday, June 5, 2009

Family Fun Friday - The Circus

Welcome to Family Fun Friday: THE place to share fun and frugal ideas for family activities. Please read the Guidelines and share your ideas with us!!

This week's topic: the Circus!!

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus comes to Providence every year during the first weekend of May. Joel and I decided the Circus would be a fun activity for our family to do this year. As you can see from the video below we had a great time!



I was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive Circus tickets are compared to other attractions. With the cheapest seats only $10 a person, the Circus is cheaper than the movie theaters in my area!!

However, for my family of 6 to attend that still means $50+ just to get in the door (Under 1 year is free but don't forget to add Ticketmaster's fees for everyone else). So, I googled 'Ringling Brothers Circus discount code' and found RetailMeNot.com. There I was able to find, AND USE, a code for 50% off our ticket prices!!

I love it when that happens!

In addition to half-priced tickets, we did two things that helped make our Circus experience really spectacular:
  • Joel took Friday off of work and we attended a morning show. Going in the morning made for a MUCH smaller crowd. I'm all for smaller crowds!! It also meant we didn't have to worry about buying lunch or supper at the venue. It also made the day super special for my kids to know that Daddy had taken off of work to do something fun with them.
  • We arrived an hour early and attended the All Access Pre-Show. This is FREE with your ticket!! You go down on the venue floor where you can watch the Circus performers up close & personal, try on clown costumes and get so close to an elephant you can almost touch her!! This was probably my favorite part of the day!
I realize not everyone lives in an area visited by Ringling Brothers, however, that doesn't mean you can't attend a circus. Watch for smaller, lesser known circuses in your area or traditional circus acts at non-circus events. In fact, one of the dog acts we saw at Ringling Brothers Circus we remember watching at a small circus performance at the Big E.

When was the last time you attended the circus? What is your favorite act? The trained animals? Trapeze? Magic Tricks?
Recommended Ages: Fun for ALL!
Equipment Needed: A sense of wonder and awe.
Cost: Varies.
When: Spring - Fall.

Note: We attended the Ringling Brothers Zing, Zang, Zoom show. The show focuses a great deal on magic tricks and a character named Levitytia. This could be an issue for some people.

Disclosure: Ringling Brothers and other companies linked to in this post in NO way sponsored this post.

4 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

If you are in the Bridgeport, Connecticut area go visit The Barnum Museum. http://www.barnum-museum.org/ Joel and I went years ago (before kids) and really enjoyed it!

Carrie said...

That is SO COOL! We were going to go to the circus when it came through town this last time but we all got sick again. AND I was PLANNING to do a Family Fun Friday post this week but then we all got sick again. ;D haha...ok....we will be well and we will be fun again here shortly. At any rate, LOVED the video and the tips you offered here. Looks like y'all had a blast!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Ben's sad clown was very cute. : ) I LOVE elephants - I think that would be cool to get to see them up close.

Jude said...

Nice, looks like you guys had a great time. They put a few clips of the show on RinglingBrosCircusTickets.org, I thought it looked like a good one. I wish that I could have made it this time. Maybe I will be able to next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...