Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cowboy Theme for Ben's 4th Birthday Party

For his birthday party this year Ben wanted a cowboy theme.

I knew from last year that The Cowboy's Handbook: How to Become a Hero of the Wild West by Tod Cody contained a lot of fun information and ideas so I brought it home from the library for inspiration.

After reading The Cowboy's Handbook, we settled on three ideas for our party.

1. Cowboys wore chaps.

Our Cowboys and Cowgirls wearing their hats and chaps.

To make the chaps, I bought heavy Naugahyde fabric and cut out the shape of chaps. We cut slits down the sides and across the top. Then we used strips of fabric to tie the legs together and also make belts.

2. Cowboys carried guns and played horse shoes.

I couldn't find indoor horse shoes so we settled for ring toss.

3. Cowboys ate beans (chili) with cornbread (and birthday cake).

Ben enjoyed the "boot" on his cake.

Everyone had fun wearing their chaps, cowboy hats and badges. We also shot a suction cup dart gun at a target and listened to cowboy music Joel found online.

Even the daddys got in on the action!

Ben's already talking about the theme for his 5th birthday. He loves to build so maybe a Lego party would be a good idea. Good thing I've got a year to think about it!

6 comments:

Kat said...

So cuute, and those chaps look really good!

Rachel said...

Wow! Looks like his party turned out great. I may end up borrowing some ideas from his party. :)

Carrie said...

Oh wow. Er, your post matches mine very well today! ;D

http://www.readingtoknow.com/2009/03/wild-wild-west.html

We did a Cowboy themed birthday party this past year also. (I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT!)

And a Lego party! Woot. It's a good thing kids have so many birthdays while they are still in the home because I have so many ideas.

Good ideas there!

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

That is adorable!

Anonymous said...

How cute!! I love little kids in cowboy gear!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love it...especially the chaps!

My son's first b'day was western-themed and I attempted to make a cake in the shape of a boot. Never been so exasperated in my entire life. Thank goodness my brother came to my rescue and finished decorating it for me or else my son would have had a plain ole undecorated cake!

GREAT ideas here, Stephanie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...