Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pre-hospital posts that were floating around in my head.

Before my life went all crazy on Tuesday, I had a few posts floating around in my mind. I don't have the energy or time to write them out as full posts so I am resorting to a list in order to get them out of my mind.

1. Monday I took the kids to the pediatrician for Ben's 3 year check-up and Ellie's 18 month check-up. Ben came in at 50th percentile for height and 90th percentile for weight. He's always come out like that on the charts. What can I say? He's a solid little fireplug.

Ellie came out on the charts at 10th percentile for both weight and height. This always makes me laugh. She is such a tiny little peanut! Believe me, she eats just fine (if it's chips & salsa or chocolate!). She's healthy, just tiny. In fact she's just now really fitting into 18 month clothes. It's weird for me because the boys have always been ahead in clothing sizes (Ben's worn 3T for 6 months!).

2. On the way to the pediatrician's office Monday we dropped another van load of boxes off at the Salvation Army. I tell ya, decluttering is addictive! Anyway, when I pulled up another van already sat backed up to the spot to unload so I parked close by. At first I thought the two women were dropping things off. Then I realized they were rummaging through the donations other people have left (the drop-off point is at the back of the building on the outside so it isn't supervised). Then I saw them pick up a clock radio and put it in their van. After a minute or two of me shooting dirty looks at them as I unloaded they climbed in their van and drove away.

For crying out loud! How low and dishonest can you be?! Stealing from the Salvation Army Thrift Store?! At first I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they really are poor and can't afford things. But then I thought, wait a minute! The Salvation Army isn't charging an arm and a leg for stuff. And they help people who don't have money. So I don't think these women were really hard up. I think they are just dishonest and thieves. Though they probably wouldn't consider themselves that.

3. At the pediatrician's office I watched two other moms (I'm a people watcher, what can I say?) who each had small infants. One had a 1 month old; the other a 2 month old. It was funny to me to see the difference in mothering. I didn't ask but I'd be willing to bet the one mom has other children. She just had a certain confidence and relaxed demeanor that says she's NOT a first time mom (even when Will almost fell on top of her baby). The other mom was clearly a first-timer! = ) She fed the baby and then proceed to gently burp him. And by gently I mean rub and softly tap his back to get him to burp. Also, she could barely be out of her teens. As a three-timer I wanted to tell her, "Sweetheart, he's never going to burp like that. You gotta pound on that little back. I promise he won't break and he'll feel lots better after a good burp." Of course I didn't say any of that. I just smiled to myself and laughed at how far I'm come as a mom.

4. I had a moment of realization that I no longer have a baby in my house. Because Ellie is so small (see # 1) and is the youngest child in our small circle of friends I still think of her as a baby. But watching those two newborns just laying in their infant carriers and then watching my Baby Girl moving chairs, climbing and playing with toys really showed me she's not a baby anymore. = ( Part of me is sad she's not a snuggly infant but mostly I'm glad to sleep through the night (most nights) and not have to think about bottles or baby food.

5. Remember the posts I wrote about decluttering my kitchen? (Here and here.) Well, Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie chose my posts to include in her Monthly Organizing Round-Up. If you are looking for ideas to organize your home head over there and look around!

I think that does it for all the pre-hospital posts I had in my head. I'll try to be back over the next couple of days with more details about our hospital experiences. Both medical and non-medical. Like watching Hanna Montana for the first time - can someone please explain that show to me. I'm confused why the girl is going by two names. Then there's a whole post in my head about our roommate and his family (it was a semi-private room) - 3 AM phone conversations and t.v. viewing did not make for good sleeping!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I know more about Hannah Montana than I want! My girls love her. I prefer her as Miley, though. Can't wait to hear about the roommate. Livvy was in Hasbro for a week when she was a newborn. Boy, did I have interesting roomies! Like the mom who went out for a smoke, and never came back!

Amy said...

Stealing from the SA? What? Ben is solid but has to hold his own and yet Ellie is little but certainly holds her own too! Who told her she could grow up and stop being a Baby?! When you figure out Hannah Montana let me know. We watched it in a hotel one time since my nieces are totally into her and just didn't get it. Guess we're too old? Glad you're home and look forward to your posts! Missed you guys this am but TOTALLY understand! :)

lifelaughterchaos said...

uuughh...sharing a room even makes it worse!

I'm so with you on the different mothering styles...I can't stand the uptight! I dont' think I was ever that way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...