Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekly Menu Plan and Tips for Buying Meat without Spending a Fortune.

This week didn't go as well as last week did. You know it's a bad precedent when you go out for supper on MONDAY! Then Tuesday I heated up some leftover potato soup. The week improved after that but my menu never quite recovered. Maybe this week will be better!

This week I have planned for us to enjoy:

Chicken Curry, Onions, Carrots, Rice, Pineapples
Easy Chicken Parmesan, Pasta, Salad, Focaccia Bread
Bacon, Gravy, Biscuits, Fried Potatoes
Mexican Chicken Cornbread, Sour Cream, Black Olives, Fruit
Pizza, Salad, Pineapples
Seafood Chowder, Cheddar Bread

One of my Rhode Island friends thinks biscuits and gravy for supper is not common among Southerners. Is this something only my family does?

Tell me I'm not weird and leave a comment if this is something you do, too!


If you are interested in seeing more of my recipes, my entire menu for this month, and previous menus be sure to check out Stephanie's Mommy Brain in the Kitchen.



For more menus visit Org Junkie's Menu Plan Monday Carnival.

************************************************************

Thursday morning I stopped in at my local supermarket to buy one of their loss leaders - $1.99 for bottom round roast beef and top round roast beef.

I have noticed in my area, supermarkets usually have their best deals on meat during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of the month and the week before a major holiday. I try to plan my menus and food budget so I can take advantage of those sales.

So, I bought 2 roasts about 3 pounds each. I would have bought a third roast BUT I noticed some of the steak packages had $1.50 off sticker coupons.

These meat packages expired today. Which meant the store wanted to sell them fast. I quickly did the math. And just as quickly popped them into my basket.

Here's what I bought:

Eye Round Steak .68 lb (2 individual steaks) with coupon $1.55
Eye Round Steak .65 lb (2 individual steaks) with coupon $1.42
Round Stew Meat .59 lb (1 individual steak) with coupon $ .26
Round Stew Meat .49 lb (1 individual steak) with coupon -$ .03

Yes, you see that correctly. I bought a half pound of beef for TWENTY-SIX CENTS and they paid ME three cents to take another half pound of beef home!!

With the loss leader and the coupons I paid $14.55 for 8.12 pounds of beef. That's less than $2 a pound!

I cut it all up into meal sized portions and put it in freezer bags. Now I have roast and steak for at least 6 meals in my freezer. That's less than .50 cents a serving for my family of 5!

Buying loss leaders and soon to expire meat with coupons Works For Me! What tips do you have to buy meat without spending a fortune?

For more Works For Me! ideas visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

7 comments:

Christina said...

Well, officially, I'm not southern. My mom and her whole side of the family are from Texas though so I think it's in my genes (thank god!)
We LOVE southern biscuits and gravy for , basically, any meal of the day. Hubs loves it when he smells bacon cooking, he knows what is coming next. MMMMM. So yes it is normal for the south, and some of us in the north as well.

Saving money on meat: I utilize my county's Extra Helpings Program. I have a friend whose daughter was having a rough time of it and really didn't want to apply for food stamps. She happened upon a menu for the Extra Helpings (some states call it Angel Food?) and found it provided enough for her to work off of for the entire month. When I saw the menu and saw that it was available for ANYONE, I jumped on it. I spend about $70-85 a month on all the offerings and it usually lasts us up to and past the next months menu.
If you're curious what kinds of things they offer here's a link to the pdf ofFebruary's menu

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Great deals, Stephanie.

I only buy meat from one particular grocery store, but I've learned that if I go first thing in the AM, I can find their meat marked down. Usually it's a percentage off coupon instead of your cents off ones, but if I'm not shopping loss leaders, I'm getting my meat 30-50% off. I can't tell you the last time I paid full price for it!

(PS--Sticking to a meal plan is hard when you have kids the ages of yours...give yourself some grace! You do really, really well with this stuff!)

Alicia said...

What a great explanation about buying reduced meat!

What I know I grew up doing was having breakfast for dinner. That was common in my home (growing up and now), and if it needed to biscuits & gravy so be it!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I LOVE it when they PAY you to take something out of the store! I am so excited for you! I, too, try to plan according to sales and buy in bulk when it's a good price and then freeze it for the future. Another way I save money on meat is by not buying it. We tend to have at least one meal/ week that we gain protein from another source: eggs, beans, etc. It changes up our menu and saves money, too!

Yes, biscuits and gravy are a definite dinner meal around here. I don't know if common in the south, but it is common at our house! Come to think of it...we haven't had that in a while! Maybe in February?!

The Hibbard Family said...

Biscuits and gravy for supper? You bet! Typically we think of it as breakfast for supper, so it's not specifically biscuits and gravy, but that is frequently a part of what we eat. And I know a lot of other families who do it, so I would say it's a southern thing!

As for meat purchases, awesome ideas! Living in a small town where there aren't many grocery options, knowing the discount dates helps a lot. Also, we have typically lived near a Sam's, which usually has great meat prices. At every Sam's we've lived near, Thursday is their typical mark-down day, and the earlier in the day you shop the better the selection.

Stephanie said...

I would do biscuits and gravy for dinner more if my girls would eat it. Actually they eat the biscuits fine, but then that leaves LOTS of gravy for me and my husband. Which is good, and not good if you know what I mean. :)

Brooke said...

We do breakfast for dinner at our house a whole lot. Not only biscuits and gravy but sometimes oatmeal or pancakes even. My family (especially the kids) LOVE breakfast so they would eat it for every meal if I let them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...