Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand? 1.27.09

I'm officially one month is to my Reading Goal for 2009. And I'm feeling pretty proud of myself!

For January I planned to read:

* For The Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope by Max Lucado (for Thomas Nelson);
* Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin (for SimpleMom);
* I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (for 5MFB);
* The Doctor's Sweetheart and Other Stories by L.M. Montgomery (for Reading to Know).

And I did it! That's four grown-up books in one month. Amazing!

You can read my review of Lucado here and Montgomery here. I haven't written my review of the Dominguez book, yet. I'm saving that for sometime in February. The Maya Angelou review will post on February 3 for the 5 Minutes for Books Classics Carnival.

As usual, I've been reading plenty of children's books. I reviewed three of them in January: The Kingfisher First Encyclopedia, If You Give a Pig a Party, and The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books.

I have to say I've very pleased with January's reading!


****************************************************
Now looking ahead to February.

* Making Children Mind without Losing Yours by Dr. Kevin Leman (for Heart of the Matter Online Book Club, by February 21). I read this book last year {I think} and NEED it again!

* Something by A.A. Milne (for 5 Minutes for Books Children's Classics Carnival, on February 10).

* The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (A Christmas gift. I hope to write a series of articles in March about what I learn from this book. Will you join me for an unstructured book club?)

* I'm still reviewing for Thomas Nelson Publishing. They aren't currently offering anything that interests me but that is always subject to change.

* As usual, I'll be reading children's books with my kids. I'm hoping to find some good books on Lincoln, Washington and Valentine's Day. Do you have any recommendations?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Four adult books on one month! I am so impressed!

Your February books look good, too. I hope that you will post a review of "Making Your Children Mind" because I haven't read it although I have heard of it. I know you are enjoying and being challenged by the "Ministry of Motherhood". It was excellent and I look forward to the posts.

Hoping someone has some book suggestions for Valentine's and the Presidents. I don't. :(

Currently I am readying John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life". Whew, it is good and is definitely stimulating my brain, pointing me to Scripture, and a little painful in the application department. Guess that all means it's a good book!

Happy reading!

The Hibbard Family said...

Four book! I'm impressed! I thought I was doing well to get through one... :-)

I look forward to seeing what you find on Lincoln and Washington. I am going to email my friend/former boss who is the curriculum director at the Mother's Day Out where I worked. She might have some good President's Day books to suggest.

The Story of St. Valentine: More than Cards and Candied Hearts is the best Valentine's children's book I have read. It's written and published by The Voice of the Martyrs, and it's very honest about the persecution during the time of Valentine but still child-friendly. We love it!

Carrie said...

Oh! The Ministry of Motherhood. I received that as a gift when my son was born and read it then (two years ago). I could use a refresher. March you said? I'll read it again, sure! (Trying to add this to my mental To Do/Read list!)

Unknown said...

I love Kevin Leman's. I'm actually part way through "Have a New Kid by Friday" (and that's not even on my list) but I need to review it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on meeting your goal. I am looking forward to reading others' thoughts of Caged Bird. I just finished it last week. I have never read The Ministry of Motherhood. I think I'll add it to my list!

Nise' said...

Yeah! Great job. I am finishing up Caged Bird for 5MFB as well.

ibeeeg said...

The Ministry of Motherhood. I have this book but not read it. A unstructured bookclub? Count me in if you please...March?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on reading four big people books this month!

The Ministry of Motherhood sounds interesting and encouraging. I might have to try to dig this one up.

Thanks for sharing!

Mimi N said...

Unbelievable that you have any awake time to even be able to read w/ so many little ones. Do you even sleep? Amazing. I'm in awe! I'm not so great with non-fiction, they're too much like reality! hahahaha I like my escapes. :)

Blessings,
Mimi B @ Woven by Words

Stephanie said...

I'd love to read Sally Clarkson with you. I think that is the same book I'm working through (although you can tell I'm doing well with it if I'm not sure exactly of the title!) :) And we're reading A.A. Milne as our read-aloud right now. So much fun.

Your list is great!

Lindsay said...

What a great list you have! Good job on the month of January!! Good luck this month :-)

Cassie said...

Catchy title! Currently....nothing is on my nightstand. Abby helped me clean it off yesterday, without me even asking her to do so! Imagine that! :o) Seriously, I really don't have time to read, sad to say. But, thanks for the tips.
Cassie

Flamingo said...

good for you...i have no prob with 4 books in a month, but they are always fiction. i struggle with the non ficition..it overwhelms me to know what i'm not doing right!

Anonymous said...

Cool books.......awesome bigtime readers.

Pollyq121@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I'm a first time visitor! Thanks!!!

scgirl816 at gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch is my FAVORITE Valentine's children's book. Does not reference the Bible, but "A man who has friends must himself be friendly" is well illustrated! :)
Christie
ajourneyinmommying

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...