Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Road Trip to Delaware

Spring finally came to Rhode Island last week.  Sunny.  Warm.  Beautiful!  And then it promptly went away and left a rainy, muddy mess.  Such is life in New England.

I have a few things I really want to tell you about!

First, I spent part of this past weekend in Delaware.  Without my family.  Shocking isn't it?  My husband kindly agreed to let me drive to Delaware with my friend Amy.  I've not been that far away from my family since Will was born almost 7 years ago.  This was HUGE!

Anyway, Friday morning Amy and I loaded up in her car and headed South to her parents' home.  Friday night and Saturday morning we attended a Fresh Grounded Faith Conference by Jennifer Rothschild and Kathy Troccoli.  It was just what I needed - the teaching, the conversations, and the time away.

I'm still processing and am sure I'll be writing more about the weekend in a few weeks.

The second thing I want to tell you is about this great blog I've been reading/ participating in since January.  Wendy Pope is a speaker with Proverbs 31 Ministries and writes/ vlogs at Experiencing the Real Meaning of Free.

Wendy is leading her readers through the Bible in one year (Chronological, NLT version).  Monday through Friday she posts a short teaching about that days reading and then those who've also read share their insights in the comments.

I am learning a lot and would love for you to join me.  It's never to late to jump into reading the Bible.

Today Wendy challenged us to use the time leading up to Easter for the "Joshua Challenge."  This comes from Joshua 3:5, "Purify yourselves for tomorrow the LORD will do great wonders among you."  In order to participate in this challenge I'm going to step away from the blog and Google Reader until Easter.

*** Edited to add:  I realized after this published that my reason for a bloggy vacation could be misunderstood.  By no means do I mean that blogs (writing or reading) are evil or something I need to "purify" myself from!  In this case purify just means to separate from.  Blogging takes up my time (mostly in the evenings) and for the next two weeks I want to use that time to pray, read books, and be with my family.  So I am "separating myself" from blogging.  I hope that's a little clearer.

So I'll talk to you again after Easter!

P.s. There's just over 5 weeks until my 5K race.  Please consider supporting me by sending a check to CompassionRun.com!  Thanks!!!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I totally got your meaning (but saw the post after you included the 'p.s.'). Yup. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Glad to hear that your trip went so well and I look forward to hearing more about it at some point.

In the meantime, enjoy your Easter week off!

Amy said...

Praying you'll have a refreshing time of "separation"! I totally get it! :)

Alon said...

i wanted to share a link with you that i've found really helpful! it's mapmyrun.com you can enter the places you run on a map and it will calculate the distance. if you sign up, you can also keep track of the runs you've taken. hopefully i can talk to you sunday about signing up for the run!

Jennifer Renee said...

Stephanie, I went back to the comments on Wendy's blog and decided to look at your profile and then decided to look at your blog.
First, I'm so glad you don't have the visual and word verifications on your comment page like so many blogs have. I understand why people use this option but as you know from reading my comments I'm blind and can't do these verifications.
I smiled when I read that you went to a conference that Jennifer Rothschild was involved in. A close friend sent me an article about her last December and one of the women from Proverbs 31 told me I should look into Jennifer Rothschild's ministry because she is also blind.
It must have been nice to have the opportunity to travel with a friend. I don't have any close friends where I live or in church to do anything like that with. My church does do a womens retreat each year but I could never go because I had to always work and this year I can't afford it because I have a hospital bill I might have to pay and I might be going on a trip with my family in August. I did get to go visit my Spiritual mother and her two best friends, who are now two of my closest friends, last September. This was wonderful because I hadn't seen her since 1987. It was some of the sweetest four days of my life and God was in the midst of our fellowship. It was a Spiritual retreat for me with all of us fellowshiping and praying together. I was able to get many loving hugs from all three of them that I really needed. I also got shown a lot of "mother's love and affection" that I've been wanting and needing for many years that I didn't get from my mother growing up even though she's always been in my life.
I'm sorry for all this. I've been down quite a bit today and right now my heart is heavy with loneliness.
Sweet blessings

Flamingo said...

blogging takes up time? huh. i didn't know that:) lo lol

Cassie said...

Glad you got to have a trip with a girlfriend! I miss my girlfriends quite a bit. Wish that I could spend more time with them. Good luck on your race.
Cassie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...