Thursday, December 25, 2008

Joseph

I am the man
who took the woman’s shame
upon myself, defied
those who murmured whispers
counting months
and sheltered her with my name.

I am the man
who trod hard roads
beside her, held her, swaying
bowing on the donkey
with the Life-Spring
of the universe
kicking in her swollen womb.

Long the hours
we journeyed on,
panted in the small shade
whispered to the waiting Majesty
prayed Him stay His coming
a little while yet.

Rough and awkward
unprepared,
I am the man
who was midwife
at the birth of the Eternal One,
and held Divinity
squalling, bloody in my hands
while the Prophets’ voices
thundered in my ears

and high above the stable roof
a new born star
burst into incandescent life.

-written by Lara O. at Singing New Songs

*** Reprinted here with permission.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Powerful!

Carrie said...

I love it!

And on a completely unrelated note - I nominated your blog for a little award and you can find out why here:

http://www.readingtoknow.com/2008/12/blog-awards-creative-blogger.html

I appreciate knowing you and getting a peek at your world! Blessings on you and your family in 2009!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...