Friday, September 23, 2011

Apple Pie Tradition and Recipe

I love autumn. LOVE it! The weather, the clothes, the food and the traditions. I love everything about fall!

One of my favorite traditions takes place every year in October on Columbus Day - we go apple picking with friends. That fun-filled day results in another tradition - making an apple pie with my children.


In honor of that tradition, which is just around the corner, here is the delicious recipe I use:

Apple Crumb Pie

1 or 2 (9 inch) pie shell
6 cups thinly sliced apples
3/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. butter (or margarine)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375*. Place sliced apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine white sugar, 2 Tbsp. flour, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples. Toss until apples are evenly coated. Spoon mixture into pie shell.

In small bowl combine 1/2 cup flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over apple filling.

Choice: At this point you can cover top loosely with aluminum foil and bake in oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until top is golden brown. This will give you a crumb topping, almost like an apple crisp.

I prefer to put another pie crust on top of the crumb topping. I just gives it an extra yumminess (and calories, but we won't speak of that.) If using the pie crust, cut 4 slits in the center. Then cover edges with aluminum foil or pie shield to keep the edges from burning. Bake according to above instructions.

Do you have a favorite autumn tradition or recipe? If so, please share it!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing! I've never made an apple pie (I've made several other apple desserts, just never pie) and this year my children have put in a request for a pie. So, I think this looks like a great recipe to try...after we pick! Can't wait! :)

Stephanie Kay said...

I can't believe you've never made an apple pie! You are the Queen of Yummy Desserts! :D I generally make my crust from scratch as well. It's quick and easy and tastes better than store bought (in my opinion). I should post that recipe, too.

After making an apple pie last night I think I would adjust the recipe a little and reduce the amount of flour in the crumb crust. The recipe as is, tastes just slightly doughy. I'm probably be overly critical of it. I'd say use 1/3 cup instead of 1/2.

Also, if you are looking to reduce calories or sugar or starch content, using just the crumb topping or just a crust topping tastes just as good. :D Last year we made mini-pies and cut initials out of dough and put on top of each persons pie. My guys LOVED having their own pies to eat. :)

AnickH said...

this looks and sounds like the perfect apple pie and i love how you do a crust over the crumb topping!! thats so genius! that way your getting the best of both!! and i think I'll use the full 1/2 cup flour even though u say it makes it kinda doughy.. i prefer doughy textures. thanks for sharing this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...