Saturday, June 28, 2008

Red, White & Blueberry Pie

Amazingly enough, Independence Day is upon on us! The weather here in Rhode Island is finally consistently hot (enough so that my AC has now been turned on about 4 days this month). And I have rescheduled plans to go strawberry picking with friends this coming week (it's a tradition!). All of that to say, I'm in the mood for a Red, White & Blueberry Pie.

I don't know what it is but every year around this time I feel the need for one of those delicious pies. If you have a 4th of July party to attend this week I highly recommend taking this desert!! It's my standard summer potluck dish.

So, this week I really wanted one of those pies. I even had blueberries (on sale for .99 cents a pint!!). Unfortunately, I didn't have the strawberries, white chocolate, whipped topping, or grocery money to buy them. But I wasn't deterred. I figured something was better than nothing. So, here's what I made:


The pie was just as pitiful in real life as this picture looks. Will ate about 3 bites of his slice and was done. Ellie finished all of hers and Will's but her tastes aren't very discriminating. After all, she eats stray days-old cheerios off the floor. My problems included slightly overcooked pie crust, extremely off-brand vanilla pudding and blueberries that tasted like they weren't quite ripe yet. Did I mention the lack of white chocolate? That was definitely a problem!

Don't get me wrong. All of us but Will managed to finish off the pie. But this week I'm going strawberry picking, I still have one pie crust and 1 pint of blueberries (which should be ripe by now) and a whole new month with a new budget envelope full of money. Guess what I'll be buying at the grocery store. Guess what I'll cooking up this week. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Go to it! Isn't is disappointing when you're craving something that you don't have the ingredients for at the end of the month? I so know the feeling...and way to hold out! July is on its way...a blank slate in the grocery money envelope! I actually can't wait to do my July menu for that very reason! Enjoy!!!!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Mmmm, could you please send some this way?

I'm going to make a flag cake. I think. But, this pie looks much tastier.

lifelaughterchaos said...

so how long do you think it would take for me to drive to rhode island from PA?

Yumm!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...