Monday, June 30, 2008

My 24 + hour vacation.

You know your blogging record has reached a sad low when your husband posts about your Girls Weekend before you do!!

To excuse my pitiful blogging behavior let me remind myself that I have 3 children ages 5 and under, am currently growing a fourth child, and planned, cleaned for and hosted a birthday party for one of my children a week after my Girls Weekend.

OK. I feel much better now.

You may recall Amy, Julia and I attended a Beth Moore Conference last August. Just look through the archives from August 2007 and you'll quickly be reminded. We three have decided that a yearly Girls Outing is a very good thing for us to do.

Unfortunately, this year we couldn't find any conferences that we really wanted to attend. Actually, that's not true. We found PLENTY of conferences but none within the one hour's drive of home that our husbands limited us to (Beth will be in Connecticut in October - 5 days before my baby is due). But, we were not deterred.

One day over lunch Amy and I discussed our desire to attend a Hearts at Home conference. Since that isn't possible we thought buying and sharing some cds or tapes from the conference would be a good idea. And a plan was born!!

So, June 2o we three women left our husbands with 6 children ages five and under (with Julia's teenage son thrown in there as well) and checked into a hotel. We didn't go far. In fact, the hotel is located about 5 miles (if that) from my home. We discussed going off somewhere but with gas prices $4+ a gallon, going off just for the sake of being far from home seemed kind of silly.

Our agenda for the Friday/Saturday was to eat, talk, laugh, and listen to a few conference cds. We managed to squeeze 1.5 tapes in between our talking and eating. We also managed to eat at TGIFriday's, Outback Steakhouse, and Pappa Razzi's. Oh! And shop. Did I mention we shopped? Amy and I went home with matching flip flops from Ann Taylor Loft (buy one get one half off!). We seem to be drawn to similar colors and styles though NOT the same sizes!

We also talked and talked and talked and talked. Poor Julia was suffering from a terrible sunburn (spending the week at the beach will do that to you) and gave up on us around 1 AM. Amy and I kept going until close to 6 AM. We saw the sunshine peek around our curtains and heard the birds singing outside our window. What's really funny is that Amy and I are the tired pregnant ones. = ) We did have pity on Julia and let her have one bed to herself. Though we teased her in the morning that our bed had four people in it while hers only had one. = )

Not long after 6 AM Amy started getting phone calls and texts from her family that her sister was at the hospital delivering her second baby. What's funny is that 2 years ago Christy delivered her first baby while Amy and I were together at a Memorial Day picnic. It just added a fun unexpected twist to our weekend.

That pretty much sums up our Girls Weekend. I could tell you what we talked about but then I'd have to kill you. = ) We're all hoping to do something again next year but I'm not sure I'll be able to get away overnight. Four kids five years old and under + one daddy for overnight will take some serious brownie points on my part!!!

Hmmm... maybe I should pull that steak out of the freezer and go get Joel's slippers...

6 comments:

Amy said...

I for one totally suggest any mother out there who can to get a night with girlfriends. In my experience it makes for a better wife and mom! Oh, and Stephanie, if you think the steak and slippers will help then go for it! I wonder what my sweet husband will say with 3 to care for?! If we need to settle for a day away I'll take it! :)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Sounds like fun. It also sounds like something I need to arrange with my friends.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Sounds like fun. It also sounds like something I need to arrange with my friends.

Alicia said...

Isn't Amy your On the Border friend? I'm shocked that wasn't in your list! This sounds like it was so much fun! Maybe next year you could at least do a long day.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Sounds fabulous. I used to do a yearly getaway with some friends in Arkansas...but then I moved here and it got a lot harder to coordinate, not to mention more expensive.

I'm so glad you were able to have that time....did Joel let you sleep when you got home??

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you ladies had a blast! And I am sure the, um, rest, if you could call it that, was well deserved. Hope the steak and slippers do the trick for keeping this an annual event. Brownie points never hurt!

And by the way, the NH trip sounds like great fun. Kudos to Joel for taking a hit for the team! Yikes!

Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...