Friday, June 4, 2010

Family Road Trip on Family Fun Friday

Road Trip!!!

My goodness, how my perspective of those two words has changed in 7 years!  Road trips used to mean spontaneous drives listening to great music and visiting new places.  Now a road trip means planning, researching and packing.

Last month I planned, researched and packed my family up for a road trip to the Washington, D.C. area.  Our purpose was two-fold:  enjoy a 40th birthday party with friends who knew us BEFORE kids and enjoy visiting the sites of D.C. with our kids.  (But before we arrived at our hotel outside D.C. we had to explore a rest stop in every state along the way- except NY.  What?  You don't do that?)

For me the trip was a little surreal.  I visited D.C. 18 years ago on a school trip as a junior in high school.  I loved everything about the trip (except my first plane ride ever!) and fell in love with history and political science at that time.  I promised myself I would come back one day with my children. 


Over the course of a week we enjoyed a year's worth of t.v. viewing; visiting with our friends twice; more junk food than anyone should eat; a trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Mount Vernon, and the National Mall.

I have a lot of pictures and thoughts to share about our trip but I'll try to spread them out over the month so you don't get sick of hearing about it.

Are you taking a road trip this summer?  Where to?  If not, where would you like to go?

1 comment:

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

I would love to go to DC again. I went for an 8th grade trip and thought it was amazing. I look forward to hearing more about your trip. : )

Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...